Lucy, our White Leghorn started laying last week. This week Issy, our Isa Brown started laying. Marigold, our Buff Orpington hasn’t started laying yet. We’ve had a total of eleven eggs so far. Sooo “egg”cited. Ha! I like having brown eggs, but I much prefer a variety…and that is what we are getting. Pretty, don’t ya think? They are so small. Every day they get a little bigger though. We are working to finish the coop so they can finally have an official home instead of a makeshift pen.
We started off with what we thought would be six hens. I knew going into this that sexing chicks isn’t 100% exact unless they are sex links. But when you spend the extra money to buy six pullet chicks instead of straight run, you don’t expect half of them to be roosters. We bought two Rhode Island Reds, two Buff Orpingtons, a White Leghorn and an Isa Brown. Both
Rhode Island Reds turned out to be roosters and one of the Buff Orpingtons turned out to be a rooster. Living in town we can’t have one rooster let alone three. So we had the hard task of butchering chickens for the first time. It wasn’t easy.
Hubby and son are working on the chicken coop. Because we live in town we wanted something nice that the neighbors wouldn’t necessarily see as an eyesore (which is why it
is taking longer.) Hopefully that will be done soon. We don’t have a lot of the common predators that chicken owners deal with. Ours are roaming cats and dogs. So we thought it best to make a coop with a run, and then once in a while let them out to
roam the yard when we can keep an eye on them. My contribution to the chicken coop is a barn quilt of a chicken. I finished it yesterday. We are going to make one in a different pattern for over our garage.
So, that is it for now. I’m off to get some laundry done. Hope you have a wonderful and blessed day! Grace and peace….