I have some old recipes, and some Amish recipes, that really don’t mention an exact oven temperature. Instead they mention terms such as “slow oven” or “hot oven”. My great-grandmother’s recipe for Anadama Bread is like that. So I did some research to figure it out and here is what I found:
– Very slow oven is 250 to 275 degrees.
– Slow oven is 300 to 325 degrees.
– Moderate oven is 350 to 375 degrees.
– Hot oven is 400 to 425 degrees.
– Very hot oven is 450 to 475 degrees.
– Extremely hot oven is 500 to 525 degrees.
You may still have to fiddle with the temperatures through trial and error to find exactly what will work best, but this gives a starting point.